Thursday, August 8, 2013

Giant Walk Through Key Hole

So since May I've been wanting to have an amazing entrance to my party where you have to go through a key hole. At first I wanted the actual Door Knob from the Original movie that you went through but that wouldn't have worked because of dimensions. I'd either need a REALLY tall board or you'd have to go through a 1 foot tall key hole. So my next idea was just a key hole. And this one stuck. I got an 8ft by 4ft particle board (plywood would work too) and drew out the scale. I knew a ket hole was made out of a circle and a triangle. I figured out sizes and such like my circles diameter would be 3 ft and my entire key hole would be 6 ft tall. After I worked with my dad to cut out the pieces I had drawn and got this:

Yay! I was so excited to see this fantasy come to life! Next up, paint! I went to Home Depot where some awesomely helpful employees helped me find a great shade of black. They asked if it was for interior or exterior (i just said the cheapest). They then asked if I was going to paint one side or 2. (I was only going to paint the one you see). Finally they asked me if I wanted it glossy or flat. I went with flat. I bought cheap supplies to paint it with. Right across the way, there's a lovely store called Michaels  I LOVE IT! (Small tip, go online and print out the 40% off any regular priced item coupon). I got a great gold color for $5.00 and I got ALOT for it. I decided after painting a base of black, to paint a 3in gold edging around the entrance. This is what I came up with!

Ta da! There's my beautiful key hole! I have a successful entrance to a wonderful party!

No comments:

Post a Comment